A Managed Security (or Cyber Security) Service (MSS) is an approach to network security where an organization outsources Cyber security services to a third party. These services are outsourced from a Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP) who protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of an organization digital assets (data, information, applications, systems…).
Some Examples of Managed Security Services
Common services offered by MSSPs include anti-virus services, managed firewall services, vulnerability scanning, intrusion detection, back-up, disaster recovery, patch management, asset management, just to name a few. Those services are generally labeled as “Managed”.
MSSPs generally provide 24/7 services and skills to detect, prevent, protect and respond to cyber security events to ensure security, performance and operational integrity in your business. The service providers offer a wide range of scalable, standard or customized cyber security solutions, which allow a firm to reduce the number of security personnel needed to maintain network security or just hand their Cyber security concerns to an expert third party. Consequently, a firm is able to cut on costs and focus on core activities.
Benefits of Managed Security Services
- Protects your network from viruses, adware and malware
- Protects employees and increases their efficiency and productivity
- Helps avoid compliance and legal issues
- 24/7 monitoring activities from expert security analysts
- Frees up resources to focus on core activities for your organization
- Cost-effective compared to hiring an in-house full-time security team
- Provides peace of mind knowing that your network security in expert hands
Considerations for Small and Mid-Sized Organizations
There are several firms providing cyber security solutions to support the needs of health care providers, local governments and small and medium sized enterprises. A good service provider should be reliable, affordable and should provide an integrated range of services and skills.